Regular Background

Saturday, July 10, 2010

BIG lesson at the fruit stand!

This is day one of blogging at Life's Lessons...BIG & small...and we get a BIG lesson today!
  • Don't leave your keys in the car when shopping at a road-side fruit stand.
The day was progressing along well; run to Whole Foods and pick up blueberries, strawberries, and apples. Swing by the watermelons and see what I think...ugh...not getting those. Whipped into another store and hit the fruit lover's jack-pot! Pineapples, mangoes, grapes, cantaloupes, and bananas. Swing by the watermelons and see what I think...ugh...not getting those either! Well, I'll just have to think through the arrangement of fruit for breakfast in the morning at church..wait, there was the fruit stand on the way to town, I'll stop and check there for my coveted watermelon centerpiece! Yeah!!!

Oh good ~ the stand is still open... the temperature and humidity are really climbing today, but I can grab a watermelon, jump back in the car and be on my way in just a few minutes so my fruit won't be damaged. This will work perfectly!

Watermelon is quickly selected and I slipped it on the front floorboard and shut the door when I registered a faint... click .... CLICK! Oh no...please no... not that crazy glitch that recently start with my 1995 faithful auto. You see, she has recently decided to lock both doors when the passenger door is shut a certain way, which I seem to have perfected, and leave the human securely locked outside her doors.

Today the car won!

I had tossed my keys in the floorboard while selecting a melon a mere 10 feet away. Big mistake...BIG mistake! The spare keys were in my purse, proudly sitting in the passenger's seat. You're thinking...cell phone, use your cell phone and call someone. Yep, that thought crossed my mind and plummeted into the depths of "Oh brother". My cell phone was also tucked away in my purse, still proudly sitting in the passenger's seat.

Well, I realized today that I only know maybe five phone numbers by memory and two of those don't answer a call from a number they don't recognize. Not helpful at all! I could stand and see my phone which has a lock smith's number programmed into it for just such occasions - planned ahead, just not enough. Asked to borrow a phone at the fruit stand (thank God I purchased a melon from them) and called my sister's mobile - remember those that don't answer an unknown number - person one is my sister. Mom & Dad! They should be home - ring...ring...ring...ring...Hello/screech! Mom answered at the same time her fax machine switched on - THAT was an interesting phone conversation between screeches. [I can smile about it now] After what seemed to be 30 minutes of discussion dad was coming to the rescue!

It took a while, but one and a half hours and one banjo song later, I'm jumping in my car and taking off for home and the A/C. Ever said a prayer for fruit? I did today! God tells us nothing is too small to bring before him and even my littlest blueberries were spared.

My life lesson today -either have keys or cell phone in your hand when visiting a road-side fruit stand!

Your life question today - how many phone numbers do you know from memory?

1 comment:

  1. I know how to fix it! Get your book that came with your car and in it you will find that your locks can be programmed to do several things and you need to reprogram them to only lock when the car is running. It has happened to me several times and I love AAA!
    Hope your fruit is great! I love the blog and can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete